Pickup truck owners know that a tonneau cover is a great way to protect cargo in the truck bed. Tonneau covers come in different styles, like foldable, retractable, and hinged.
Many tonneau covers use heavy-duty Velcro strips to securely attach the cover to the sides of the truck bed. Over time, the Velcro can wear out and need replacing. So where can you buy new Velcro strips for a tonneau cover?
What Are Tonneau Covers and How Do They Attach?
A tonneau cover sits on top of the truck bed to cover and protect the cargo area. The most common tonneau cover materials are vinyl, aluminum, fiberglass, or canvas. Tonneau covers attach to the truck bed in a few different ways depending on the style:
- Foldable covers use Velcro strips on the sides to hold the cover in place when folded up. The rear also uses clamps or Velcro to secure it.
- Retractable covers roll up on a spring-loaded frame. The sides use rubber seals to create a tight fit to the bed.
- Hinged covers are hard covers that are permanently attached with hinges on one side. The other side uses clamps or latches to fasten it.
For many soft foldable or roll-up vinyl covers, heavy-duty Velcro is the main way the cover attaches firmly to the truck bed sides. The soft fuzzy side sticks to a hard plastic strip screwed along the inside rim of the truck bed.
Why Do the Velcro Strips Need Replacement?
The Velcro tends to wear out over time from repeated opening and closing of the cover. Dust, dirt, and debris can get stuck to the Velcro, reducing how well it sticks. UV rays from the sun also damage and fade the Velcro.
Once the Velcro loses its grip, the tonneau cover will sag and not attach tightly. Replacing worn strips restores the snug fit to keep out weather and thieves. It’s a quick, inexpensive fix to get more life from your tonneau cover.
Where Can I Buy Replacement Velcro Strips?
Luckily, you can buy replacement Velcro strips for tonneau covers from many online retailers. Here are some good options:
Auto Parts Stores
Major auto parts chains like AutoZone and O’Reilly Auto Parts have tonneau cover repair kits with replacement Velcro strips. Search for “tonneau cover repair kit” on their websites. Kits run $20-40 depending on the length and are often universal to fit most covers.
Search Amazon using your tonneau cover brand and model along with “Velcro replacement.” You can often find an exact match for around $20-30. Some options are:
- Gator EFX Folding Tonneau Cover Replacement Velcro
- Velcro Replacement Kit for Roll N Lock Tonneau Covers
- Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Replacement Velcro
Tonneau Cover Retailers
Many online retailers that sell tonneau covers also offer replacement Velcro strips. Check sites like:
They carry universal kits or brand-specific strips sized correctly for that make of cover. Prices are very reasonable, usually $15-40.
Custom Auto Accessory Shops
Local auto accessory and truck cap shops can also order and install replacement Velcro cut specifically for your tonneau cover brand and bed size. Custom-cut strips ensure a perfect fit. Shops like Toppers Plus, Dee Zee, and Leer provide this service.
Check with the original tonneau cover manufacturer to buy the exact same Velcro strips used on your cover. For example, brands like BakFlip, Pace Edwards, TruXedo, and Extang sell replacement parts for their covers.
What Should I Look for When Buying Replacement Velcro?
- Length – Measure the length of your truck bed to get the right size strips. They’re sold by the foot.
- Brand – Match the replacement to your current cover brand for the best fit.
- Material – Look for heavy-duty, marine grade Velcro that can withstand the elements.
- Adhesive backing – Velcro with strong adhesive will bond firmly to the truck bed.
- Easy installation – Velcro that just sticks on is simpler to install vs. needing screws.
How Do I Install the New Velcro Strips?
Here are some tips for installing new Velcro:
- Clean the truck bed side rails to remove any oil, wax, or debris so the Velcro adheres well.
- Peel off the old Velcro strips and any remaining adhesive.
- Cut the new strips to match the length of the old ones.
- Peel off the backing and firmly press in place on thecleaned surface.
- Use a roller tool to smooth out the Velcro and maximize contact with the surface.
- Replace both Velcro strips on each side for even support.
- Check that the cover is pulled tight with no gaps after replacing the Velcro.
Fresh high-quality marine grade Velcro strips specifically made for tonneau covers will restore the tight fit and security of your cover. With proper cleaning and installation, the new Velcro can last for years before needing to be replaced again.
Let the Velcro Give Your Tonneau Cover a Long Life
Tonneau covers are invaluable for protecting your truck bed and anything you put in it. But the Velcro attachment strips take a beating and wear out over time. When your cover starts sagging and letting in weather, quick Velcro replacement is the fix.
You can buy replacement strips conveniently online or at auto parts stores. Investing in fresh heavy-duty marine grade Velcro designed for tonneau covers will have your cover fitting snugly for maximum security for years to come.