What Is A BedRug And What Is A Folding Tonneau Cover?
A BedRug is a custom-fit carpet liner that goes in the bed of a pickup truck. It protects the truck bed from scratches and provides added comfort when loading items. A folding tonneau cover is a truck bed cover that folds up for easy access to the truck bed. Tonneau covers help keep cargo secure and protected from the elements.
How Does A BedRug Work?
A BedRug uses thick carpet material specially designed to conform to the contours of a truck bed. It uses an adhesive mounting system or hook and loop fasteners to secure it in place without drilling holes. Some of the benefits of a BedRug include:
- Cushions cargo from scratches and damage
- Provides a soft, comfortable surface for kneeling or crawling in the bed
- Adds thermal insulation for the truck bed
- Dampens noise from items bouncing around
- Enhances the look of the truck bed
What Are The Benefits Of A Folding Tonneau Cover?
Folding tonneau covers allow the cover to be folded back toward the cab for easy access to the full bed. Benefits include:
- Keeps cargo dry and secure under the hard cover
- Folding design allows full access to the bed when needed
- Low profile, sleek look when closed
- Easy opening and closing
- Lockable for security
Is It Possible To Install Both Products Together?
Yes, a BedRug and folding tonneau cover can absolutely be installed together in the same truck bed. The BedRug is designed to work with a tonneau cover installation. Here are some tips for proper installation:
How Should You Prepare The Truck Bed?
Before starting installation, thoroughly clean and dry the truck bed. Make sure to remove any factory tie-down hooks or other structures that could get in the way. The bed needs to be clear and ready for the new attachments.
What Is The Installation Process Like?
- Install the BedRug first according to the manufacturer’s instructions, securely fastening it in place.
- Install the folding tonneau cover next based on its provided installation directions. This usually involves attaching rails to the top of the truck bed side walls and clamping the cover onto the rail system.
- The folding tonneau can close and open without disturbing the BedRug. The two products coexist nicely once properly installed.
What Special Considerations Should Be Made?
- Carefully read through the instructions provided with both the BedRug and tonneau cover for any special notes.
- Pay close attention to how/where both attach to the truck bed to make sure they don’t interfere with each other.
- Make sure both are securely and correctly fastened according to the instructions. Improper installation can lead to issues down the road.
- Consider applying a protectant/sealant to the BedRug before installing the tonneau cover to help prevent moisture accumulation.
What Are The Potential Drawbacks Of Combining A Bedrug And Tonneau Cover?
While it is convenient to install a BedRug and tonneau cover together, there are some potential drawbacks to note:
Could Water Build Up?
With less air circulation under the covered bed, there is a risk of water accumulation on the BedRug, potentially causing mold or mildew over time. Proper installation and drainage combined with regular drying and cleaning can help mitigate this.
Is Odor A Concern?
Likewise, the enclosed space could also lead to a buildup of unwanted odors from spills or dirty/damp items stored in the bed. Be sure to clean the bed and BedRug often.
Will The BedRug Fit Well With The Cover?
If the BedRug and tonneau cover are not properly aligned during installation, the tonneau may not close correctly over the BedRug. Take careful measurements and follow instructions precisely.
Could The BedRug Be Harder To Remove?
Depending on the type of tonneau cover installed, the BedRug may be more difficult to remove with the cover in place. This should be considered for cleaning and replacement purposes.
Tips For Proper Use And Maintenance When Using Both Products
- Clean the truck bed and BedRug frequently to avoid odor issues.
- Allow the BedRug to fully dry out after getting wet before closing the tonneau cover.
- Check for water intrusion or mildew buildup under the tonneau cover.
- Be careful not to tear the BedRug when loading cargo by sliding or dragging heavy/sharp objects across the surface.
- Follow manufacturer guidance on using tonneau cover cleaning products that won’t damage the BedRug.
- Re-check the tightness of the fasteners for both products occasionally.
Installing a BedRug and a folding tonneau cover together is certainly possible with proper planning and installation. Following the manufacturer’s directions carefully for both products is crucial.
Keeping the truck bed and BedRug as clean and dry as possible helps minimize any issues with odor or moisture when combining the two accessories. With proper use and care, you can enjoy the benefits of both products together and get the most out of your truck bed.