Truck owners often want to customize their vehicles with decals, graphics or stickers. A common question is whether rear window decals can be installed on trucks that have tonneau covers over the truck bed. The short answer is yes – with the right products and proper installation, truck window decals can complement a tonneau cover for a complete customized look.
What Factors To Consider For Rear Window Decals On Tonneau Covers?
When deciding on adding a rear window decal to a truck with a tonneau cover, there are a few important factors to keep in mind:
Type of Tonneau Cover
- There are different types of tonneau covers – hard folding, soft roll-up, retractable, hinged, etc. The type of cover will impact options for decals. For example, vinyl stickers may adhere better to soft covers.
Size and Shape of Rear Window
- Measure the rear window size and shape to find decals made specifically for that space.Decals designed for the rear window will fit best.
Material and Adhesion of Decal
- Consider decal material (vinyl, acrylic, etc.) and adhesive that will stick to the tonneau cover surface.Weather resistance is also important.
Purpose and Visual Appeal
- Decide the purpose – is it decorative graphics or displaying a message? Consider how the decal will look with the truck’s paint/finish.
- Follow the decal company’s instructions for cleaning surface, applying, sealing edges, etc. Proper installation is key for good adhesion.
What Are Some Good Options For Truck Rear Window Decals With A Tonneau Cover?
Designed-To-Fit Window Decals
- Many decal companies offer pre-sized window decals made specifically to fit the rear window dimensions of certain truck make/models with tonneau covers.
- These custom cut decals are shaped to the window so they install neatly within the borders.
- Made from quality vinyl with UV protection and easy adhesion.
Custom Vinyl Lettering/Graphics
- Work with a vinyl graphics shop to custom design lettering, logos or images to apply to the tonneau cover’s rear window.
- Get it custom-sized and cut to flawlessly fit the window.
- Choose highly flexible cast vinyl film with long-term durability.
Vinyl Overlay Decals
- Select pre-designed vinyl overlays offered in various colors/finishes to apply over the truck’s rear window.
- Provides opaque coverage for privacy along with decoration.
- Made from automotive-grade vinyl resistant to fading, weather, scratches.
Tonneau Cover Vinyl Stickers
- Consider vinyl stickers made to adhere directly onto the tonneau cover surface itself.
- Allows displaying designs, logos or messages on the cover.
- Use high performance vinyl optimized for outdoor use.
Rear Sliding Window Decals
- For trucks with a rear sliding window, apply decals to the glass itself.
- Ensure the vinyl material is flexible to allow raising/lowering the window.
Step-By-Step Guide For Installing Rear Window Decals On A Tonneau Cover
Follow these key steps for proper application of rear window decals on a truck with a tonneau cover:
Clean the Surface
- Thoroughly clean the rear window or tonneau cover surface with isopropyl alcohol or other degreaser.
- Ensure the surface is entirely free of dirt, grease and residue so the vinyl sticker will adhere properly.
Position the Decal
- Carefully peel away the backing from the vinyl decal.
- Position and apply the decal where desired on the window/cover surface.
- For custom cut decals, align it properly within the window borders.
Smooth Out Air Pockets
- Use a soft plastic applicator to smooth the decal and push out any air bubbles or pockets.
- Work from the center outward towards the edges.
Seal the Edges
- Use the applicator to firmly push down all vinyl edges and corners so they adhere securely.
- Pay extra attention to properly sealing the curved edges.
Allow Proper Curing Time
- Let the vinyl sticker cure for the recommended time before washing the truck or exposing it to direct sunlight.
- This allows the adhesive to fully set and bond to the surface.
- For extra protection, apply a vinyl sealant or finish over the decal edges and surface.
- This adds a protective barrier against the elements.
Tips For Ongoing Care of Rear Window Decals on Tonneau Covers
To help rear window decals last long term on a truck with a tonneau cover, keep these maintenance tips in mind:
- Use vinyl conditioner or protectant to keep the sticker supple and sun-resistant. Reapply a few times per year.
- Rinse the decal with water frequently to wash away dirt and debris that could wear it down prematurely.
- Avoid using harsh cleaners, abrasive brushes or anything that could scratch or damage the vinyl.
- Check for peeling edges, cracks or fading over time. Catch any issues early and re-adhere or replace when needed.
- If the truck has a rear sliding window, take care when raising/lowering it to avoid putting too much stress on the vinyl.
- When storing the truck long term or shipping, consider covering the decal temporarily to prevent sun damage.
With the right vinyl products and proper care, rear window decals can enhance a tonneau cover and truck’s style for years before needing replacement. Consult a decal specialist for choosing optimal materials and application methods. Use the decal company’s instructions for the best finish. Then keep the vinyl looking its best with regular cleaning and conditioning. With some attention to detail, truck owners can enjoy durable, vibrant graphics together with their tonneau cover.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rear Window Decals On Truck Tonneau Covers
Can I put a decal on my tonneau cover rear window?
Yes, you can install vinyl decals onto rear windows of tonneau covers, as well as onto the tonneau cover surface itself. Be sure to use quality vinyl suited for automotive use that will adhere properly.
Will rear window decals damage my tonneau cover?
Properly installed vinyl graphics should not damage the tonneau cover. Avoid using overly aggressive adhesives that could leave residue. Ensure the decal edges are fully sealed so moisture does not seep underneath.
How do I clean rear window decals on my tonneau cover?
Use a soft cloth with mild soap and water to gently clean vinyl decals on your tonneau cover’s rear window or surface. Avoid harsh chemicals. Condition it periodically with vinyl protectant.
Can I put decals on a retractable tonneau cover window?
Yes, vinyl decals can be applied to retractable tonneau windows. Be sure to use flexible vinyl that can handle the window rolling up and down without the vinyl cracking or peeling.
Should I ask the tonneau cover manufacturer if decals are okay?
It’s wise to consult your tonneau cover’s manufacturer about the best decal options for that specific product. They can advise on suitable materials, adhesives and application methods to avoid issues.
What happens if I need to remove my tonneau cover rear window decal later?
Quality vinyl decals installed properly on a tonneau cover should peel away cleanly when removal is needed, without leaving adhesive residue or damaging the surface. Warming the vinyl with a hair dryer first can help.
Can rear window decals be applied to a truck with afiberglass tonneau cover?
Yes, vinyl graphics and decals can adhere to fiberglass tonneau covers as long as the surface is properly prepped and cleaned. Ensure the adhesive and vinyl material are compatible with fiberglass.
Will my tonneau cover warranty be voided if I install rear window decals?
Installing decals likely does not automatically void a tonneau cover warranty, but check your warranty terms to be sure. Ensure proper vinyl installation that will not damage the cover. Discuss with the manufacturer first.
What size decal do I need for my truck’s tonneau cover rear window?
Carefully measure the exact dimensions of your rear truck window opening to choose a pre-sized decal or order custom vinyl cut to fit that specific size and shape window.
Can I apply decals to the rear window of a hard folding tonneau cover
Yes, vinyl stickers and graphics can be installed on hard folding tonneau cover windows, as well as the panels. Ensure the vinyl and adhesive are compatible with the cover’s material (aluminum, fiberglass, etc).