If you have a tonneau cover on your truck bed, you know how important it is for keeping your cargo protected from the elements. Over time, the seals around your tonneau cover can wear out or get damaged, allowing water, dirt, and debris to get into your truck bed.
When this happens, it’s time to replace your tonneau cover seals. But where can you purchase quality replacement seals? In this article, we’ll explore the best places to buy new seals for tonneau covers.
What are the Different Types of Tonneau Cover Seals?
Before looking at where to buy replacements, it helps to understand the different types of seals used on tonneau covers. Here are some of the main seal types:
These seals run along the sides of the tonneau cover where it meets the bed rails. Side seals prevent water and dust from entering between the cover and rails. They are often made of thick rubber.
Tailgate seals close off the gap between the tonneau cover and the tailgate when the tailgate is closed. They provide a tight seal to protect the truck bed.
On folding or roll-up tonneau covers, hinge seals fill the gaps where the cover folds or rolls. They allow the cover to move while sealing the hinge area.
These seals attach to the tonneau cover rails, filling any gaps between the rails and truck bed. They prevent moisture from leaking into the truck bed.
Bulkhead seals attach to the front of the tonneau cover where it meets the bulkhead or cab wall. This blocks water and dirt from blowing in.
Where to Buy Replacement Tonneau Cover Seals
Now that you know the main seal types, here are some of the best places to purchase replacement seals:
Truck Manufacturer Dealerships
One option is to buy seals directly from your truck’s dealership. They will have access to OEM (original equipment manufacturer) seals made specifically for your truck’s tonneau cover brand and model. OEM seals ensure an exact fit. The downside is that dealership parts can be more expensive.
Many online retailers sell aftermarket replacement seals for tonneau covers:
- Amazon – Amazon stocks a wide selection of tonneau cover seals from various brands such as ESI, Access, Agri-Cover, BakFlip and more. You can find side seals, tailgate seals, rail seals and other types. The prices are reasonable and shipping is fast if you have Amazon Prime.
- AutoPartsWarehouse – This website carries DIY tonneau cover seals for makes including Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Nissan and Toyota. Brands include Lund, Dee Zee and more. The seals come in kits with instructions.
- CARiD – CARiD has tonneau seals available for brands like BakFlip, Retrax, Roll-N-Lock, TruXedo and UnderCover. You can search seals by your specific truck make and model. Bulk ordering discounts are offered.
- TruckHero – Truck Hero sells tonneau seals for Extang, BakFlip, BedRug, Retrax and other leading brands. You can browse by truck make and model. Side seals, rear seals and drain tube seals are available.
Auto Parts Stores
Stores like AutoZone, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys and NAPA Auto Parts have selections of DIY tonneau cover seals. You can get brand name seals like Lund, Agri-Cover and Wade. The staff can help find the right seals for your truck.
Tonneau Cover Manufacturers
Check the website of your tonneau cover’s manufacturer. Companies like BakFlip, UnderCover, TruXedo, and Extang sell replacement seals tailored for their tonneau covers. You can browse by the specific model you own.
Truck Accessory Shops
Local truck accessory retailers may stock aftermarket and custom seals for tonneau covers. They can also special order seals if they don’t have your exact match in stock. This option allows you to inspect seals in person before purchasing.
What to Look for When Buying Replacement Seals
To get the right replacement seals, keep these tips in mind:
- Match the seal type and measurements to your existing seals. Compare the length, thickness, shape and attachment method.
- Choose seals made of durable materials like rubber, vinyl or high density foam. Avoid cheap, thin seals that can crack.
- Buy seals specifically designed for your truck make, model, and tonneau cover brand. This ensures a proper fit.
- Look for seals that come with adhesive, sealant or other attachment provisions for easy installation.
- Select seals that are weatherproof and water resistant to stand up to outdoor use.
- For roll-up covers, get hinge seals that allow flexible movement when opening and closing the cover.
- See if the seals come with instructions or an installation video for guidance.
Buying the right seals avoids leaks, preserves cargo space, and keeps your tonneau cover working like new. Taking time to find quality replacements made specifically for your cover is worth the effort.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tonneau Cover Seals
Here are answers to some common questions about tonneau cover seals:
How Often Do the Seals Need Replacement?
With proper care, tonneau seals can last 3-5 years or longer. But hard use, sun damage and wear will require earlier replacement. Inspect seals yearly and replace if cracked, loose or leaking.
How Difficult is it to Replace the Seals Yourself?
Thanks to DIY seals and kits, you can often replace your own seals with basic tools and mechanical ability. But for inexperienced installers, getting it done by truck experts may be best.
What Causes the Seals to Leak?
Seals leak when the adhesive fails, material cracks, or the seal gets damaged and separates from the cover. Debris buildup, closing the tailgate on the seals, and opening the cover in freezing temperatures can all cause seal failure.
How Can I Make the Seals Last Longer?
Avoid putting heavy pressure on the seals when closing the tailgate. Clean off any standing debris that could tear the seals. Use protectants to keep seals conditioned. And don’t open the cover in extreme cold which can fracture the seals.
Should I Replace All the Seals at Once?
It’s a good idea to replace all the seals as a set, even if only one is currently leaking. The other seals likely have wear too. Replacing them all maintains full protection.
In Conclusion: Where to Purchase Quality Tonneau Seals
Damaged or worn tonneau cover seals should be promptly replaced to protect your truck bed and cargo. Thankfully, purchasing replacement seals is easy through online retailers like Amazon, at local parts stores like AutoZone, or directly from truck dealerships and tonneau manufacturers.
The key is sourcing seals made specifically for your tonneau cover make and model. Investing in quality seals ensures your cover maintains a tight, leak-proof seal. With proper care and early replacement when needed, your tonneau cover seals will deliver many years of trouble-free performance.