Purchasing a tonneau cover is an investment that can provide many benefits for your truck, including increased fuel efficiency, cargo protection, and improved aesthetics. However, if you end up unhappy with your tonneau cover after installing it, you may be wondering – can I return this after installation?
What Are The Different Tonneau Cover Return Policies?
Whether or not you can return a tonneau cover after installation depends entirely on the return policy of the company or retailer you purchased it from. Return policies can vary widely between manufacturers and sellers.
Here are some examples of common tonneau cover return policies:
30-Day Full Refund Policies
Some companies like RealTruck offer a 30 day return window. Their policy states that you can return all or part of your purchase for free within 30 days. However, it does not explicitly say whether already installed covers can be returned.
Unopened, Unused Policies
Other brands like Sawtooth Tonneau Covers have stricter policies requiring items to be unopened, unused, and in new condition without any evidence of installation. They will inspect returned covers upon receipt. This type of policy will not allow returns of an installed cover.
Short 10-Day Return Windows
Websites like Tonneau Covered only allow returns within 10 days of delivery before items have been in your possession too long. Once a package is delivered, you have 10 days to initiate a return. Clearly, this short timeframe prohibits returning an installed cover.
No Returns After Install Attempts
Some companies like TonnoFlip outright prohibit returns if you have attempted to install their product. Their policy states items must be sent back unused and in original packaging to be eligible for return.
100-Day Money Back Guarantees
The most lenient policies are offered by companies like Peragon which provide “100 day money back guarantees” and “free returns” without explicitly excluding installed covers. This suggests you may be able to return a cover after installation.
Key Factors That Determine If An Installed Tonneau Can Be Returned
If you are hoping to return an installed tonneau cover, there are several key factors that determine your likelihood of success:
The Specific Retailer’s Return Policy
The most important factor is the specific return policy from the company you purchased from. Carefully read all fine print about what conditions they will accept returns and if installation voids eligibility.
Timeframe Since Installation
Even retailers with 30+ day return windows may deem a fully installed cover as too used after a certain time period. Your likelihood improves the sooner you initiate a return after installing.
Condition Of The Cover
The less wear, damage or customization done to the cover, the more likely a retailer will accept a return. Evidence of drilling holes or damage from use will often void any possibility of return.
Reason For Return
If you have a legitimate issue like defective parts, missing pieces, incorrect fit or damage in shipping, a retailer may make exceptions to accept an installed cover back. Reasons like simply not liking the cover style may not be accepted.
Return Shipping Costs
Even if installed covers are not outright prohibited in the return policy, the buyer typically pays return shipping costs which can be high for large awkward tonneau boxes. This is a consideration.
Tips For Returning An Installed Tonneau Cover
If you do need to send back an installed tonneau cover, here are some tips to increase your chances of success:
- Review the return policy thoroughly and follow all terms.
- Initiate the return as soon as possible after installation before cover wears significantly.
- Carefully package the cover to avoid any return shipping damage. Video record repackaging in case issues arise.
- Be 100% certain to include all parts, hardware, keys, etc or the return may be rejected.
- Provide documentation like photos or video of any defects or damage issues present prior to installation.
- Be polite in communicating with the retailer and explain your reasons for needing to return the installed cover.
- Use a shipping service with tracking and insured coverage in case return is lost or damaged.
- Call to confirm the retailer received your return and when to expect refund processing.
Top Reasons People Need To Return Installed Tonneau Covers
Some common reasons customers end up needing to return tonneau covers after installation include:
Cover Arrived With Missing or Defective Components
A cover arriving with defective parts or pieces missing from the original packaging can necessitate a return. Latches not working, stripped bolt holes, cracked panels or torn fabric are examples.
Cover Does Not Fit Properly On Truck Bed
Despite measuring truck bed dimensions carefully prior, occasionally covers end up being a less than ideal fit once installed. Gaps, misaligned panels or inability to close properly may force a return.
Damage Occurred During Shipping or Installation
Covers can be damaged during shipping or when attempting installation, like metal panels getting scratched or bent or fabric tearing. This damage may not be noticeable until unboxing and require a return.
Realized Truck Use Requirements Have Changed
Changed needs for truck bed access after ordering a cover, like needing to haul unusually tall cargo, can necessitate returns if the cover style ordered no longer fits requirements.
Preferred Different Style After Installation
Aesthetic tastes changing after installing a tonneau cover and deciding a different style like retractable or low profile would be preferred can prompt returns. Test fitting styles prior helps avoid.
Performance Not As Expected After Install
Covers seeming less durable, weatherproof or versatile than expected after installing and using, like letting in too much water, can lead customers to request returns within policy timeframes.
Key Takeaways – Can You Return An Installed Tonneau Cover?
- Returning an already installed tonneau cover depends entirely on the specific retailer’s policy. Most prohibit returns after installation.
- To improve return success, act quickly after install, keep the cover pristine, and clearly communicate reasons to the seller.
- Covers with defective parts, damage or improper fit have the best chance of return approval from sellers with more lenient policies.
- Carefully read all tonneau cover return policies prior to purchasing to avoid issues if you may need to send an installed cover back.
- With upfront planning and clear communication, certain sellers may make exceptions even for covers past initial return windows if issues arise.