If you’ve lost the key for your truck bed tonneau cover lock, you may be wondering where you can get a replacement key made. Tonneau cover locks come in many different styles and brands, so you’ll need to find the right key blank and get it cut to match your existing lock. Thankfully, there are several places you can look to find and purchase replacement tonneau cover keys.
What information do I need to buy a replacement tonneau cover lock key?
Before you can get a replacement tonneau cover lock key made, you’ll need to gather some important information about your existing lock. Here are the key details you’ll want to have on hand:
What is the brand of your tonneau cover?
- Popular brands include LEER, UnderCover, BakFlip, Extang, and TruXedo. Knowing the specific brand will help narrow down the correct key blank.
What type of key does your lock use?
- Many use a tubular or barrel style key, but some use more specialized keys like an automotive-style sidebar key.
Do you know the part number for the lock?
- This can sometimes be found stamped on the lock housing itself. The part number can help identify the correct key.
Do you have the original keys?
- Having an original working key makes getting a duplicate simple. The locksmith can use it as a template.
Do you know the key code or bitting code?
- Some brands provide a code that specifies the cuts for that particular key. This code can be used to cut a new key.
Collecting this information beforehand will ensure you get the right replacement key made for your tonneau lock model.
Where can I buy replacement keys for major tonneau cover brands?
Most major truck bed cover brands have replacement keys available for purchase, either directly from the manufacturer or from various retailers. Here are some options:
LEER Tonneau Covers
- Order directly from LEER: LEER offers replacement keys for their tonneau covers on their website. You’ll enter your lock’s key code then select a quantity to add to your cart.
- Buy on Amazon: Search for “LEER tonneau cover lock replacement key” to find keys sold by third party retailers on Amazon. Confirm it’s the right key for your model.
- Check key replacement websites: Sites like EasyKeys.com, ReplacementLocks.com, and LostMyKeys.com sell LEER branded tonneau keys. Enter your LEER key code to find the match.
UnderCover Tonneau Covers
- Order direct or check local dealers: UnderCover recommends contacting them directly or checking with local dealers to obtain replacement lock keys for their covers. Provide your lock details.
- Search on Amazon or eBay: You may be able to source compatible UnderCover replacement keys from third party sellers on these sites.
BakFlip Tonneau Covers
- Contact BakFlip: BakFlip advises contacting their customer service department directly if you need a replacement key. Provide details on your cover.
- Buy universal keys: Some owners report success using universal keys for toolbox locks on BakFlip covers. These can be found at hardware stores or sites like Amazon.
Extang Tonneau Covers
- Contact Extang: Extang requests customers reach out to their customer service team for replacement lock keys. They will need your cover’s serial number.
- Check eBay listings: Some eBay sellers offer keys advertised as direct replacements for Extang tonneau cover locks.
TruXedo Tonneau Covers
- Buy direct or from dealers: TruXedo has OE replacement lock keys available that dealers can order, or customers can buy direct from their website.
- Search Amazon: TruXedo replacement keys are sold by some third party Amazon sellers. Make sure to match the key to your cover model.
Can I get my tonneau cover key copied at a locksmith or hardware store?
For some tonneau cover locks, you may be able to get the key copied at a local locksmith or hardware store. This will depend on the complexity of the key:
- Tubular or barrel keys – These straightforward keys can often be duplicated at many locksmiths or hardware shops if you provide the original.
- Automotive-style sidebar keys – Locksmiths with automotive key-cutting equipment can sometimes copy these if provided an original working key.
- Specialized keys – More complex laser-cut, sidewinder or dimple style keys will need to be ordered from the tonneau brand directly.
Before attempting to get a copy made of your original OEM tonneau key, check with the provider to ensure they can handle that particular key style.
What if I don’t know what brand my tonneau cover is or I don’t have the key code?
If you’ve lost the keys and don’t know your tonneau cover brand or key code, don’t worry. You still have options to get a replacement key made:
Look for identifying marks on the lock housing
- The lock may have the brand or a part number stamped somewhere on the lock body that you can reference.
Check paperwork that came with the cover
- Any manuals, warranties or receipts that came with the cover may have info on the lock brand and key code needed.
Take the lock to a locksmith
- A locksmith can sometimes decode the lock and provide a replacement key, though this will be pricier.
Buy a universal or override key
- For some simpler barrel locks, a universal or override key purchased online or at a hardware store may work.
Consider replacing the entire lock
- If you’re unable to determine the original brand/key, replacing the lock cylinder with an aftermarket one may be the solution.
With some clever detective work and research, you should be able to track down the right replacement key. But if all else fails, a new lock cylinder that comes with two keys can often be installed in its place.
Can I just replace the entire lock cylinder instead?
If you’re unable to find a suitable replacement key, or would like to enhance the security of your tonneau cover, installing a new lock cylinder may be the best solution. Here’s what you need to know:
Choose a high-quality lock cylinder replacement
- Look for solid stainless steel or brass lock bodies that are corrosion resistant. Aim for at least a 5-pin tumbler mechanism.
Make sure it’s compatible with your cover
- Measure the existing cylinder length, housing diameter, and tailpiece to find a direct replacement.
Buy a complete lock kit
- Full kits include the cylinder, housing, keys, shims, etc for an easy install. A dual-sided key is convenient.
Watch tutorial videos to install properly
- There are good DIY videos on removing old cylinders and installing new tonneau locks using basic tools.
Enjoy added security and convenience
- An aftermarket lock kit brings you new keys and beefed up security. Just be sure to store spare keys in a safe place!
Though it takes a little more effort, a full lock cylinder replacement gives you peace of mind knowing you have new, high-quality locks securing your truck bed cover.
Essential tips for buying replacement tonneau cover lock keys
When shopping for replacement tonneau cover lock keys, keep these tips in mind:
- Whenever possible, purchase lock keys directly from the original manufacturer or an authorized dealer. This ensures you’re getting an exact original equipment key.
- If buying from a third party seller, verify the key has been confirmed as a match for your specific tonneau cover model before purchasing.
- Carefully check product pictures and descriptions for mentions of compatible tonneau cover brands and lock styles. Avoid any unsure or vague listings.
- For used/refurbished keys, request detailed photos of the actual key you would receive to match it up. Insist on Return Guarantee.
- Opt for sellers that offer quick shipping and tracking and have a easy returns or refund policy in case the key doesn’t work.
- If taking your original key to be copied, get quotes from a few different locksmiths first. Some charge quite high fees.
- When replacing the entire lock, select a reputable brand known for quality and durability. Make sure it’s an exact fit for your cover.
Taking the time to order and purchase the correct, properly matched OEM replacement key or lock can save you the headache and expense of having to replace the entire tonneau cover. Just shop carefully and don’t compromise on quality when it comes to securing your truck bed.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tonneau Cover Lock Keys
Shopping for a replacement tonneau cover lock key can be confusing. Here are answers to some commonly asked questions:
How much does a replacement tonneau cover lock key typically cost?
Cost can range anywhere from $10 to $50+ depending on the brand and seller. OEM branded keys and locks from the original manufacturer tend to be priciest, while third party replacements run cheaper.
What are tonneau cover keys made of?
Most tonneau lock keys are made from nickel-plated brass or stainless steel. Higher end keys may use thicker gauge metals. Avoid cheaper pot metal keys prone to breaking.
Can I just swap the lock cylinder from my old broken tonneau cover?
Possibly! If you have the same model cover, this cylinder with your existing working keys may be compatible. Just be sure to confirm dimensions – older and newer versions may vary.
Do all dual rear wheel tonneau covers use the same key?
Unfortunately not. Even among dual rear wheel (or DRW) tonneaus, lock keys can vary between brands and sometimes even model years. You’ll need to source the right key.
How secure are most tonneau cover locks?
Basic tonneau locks offer minimal security, meant mainly as a deterrent. Upgrading to high-quality stainless steel locks in a 5+ pin tumbler design can significantly improve security.
Should I buy a spare tonneau cover lock key as a backup?
Absolutely! It’s smart to order an extra key immediately for your tonneau or any lock you depend on. Losing your only key means no access until a replacement arrives. Avoid the hassle with a handy spare.
Can I re-key my tonneau lock like door locks?
Tonneau lock cylinders are generally not able to be re-keyed like household locks. To change the key, the entire cylinder needs replacement. However, upgrading to a lock you can re-key yourself is an option.
We hope these commonly asked questions offer some guidance on purchasing the right replacement tonneau cover lock key or cylinder for your truck bed. Just take your time to get the specifics right.
Losing or damaging the keys for your tonneau cover lock can be a real hassle. Thankfully, with the right information in hand, tracking down a replacement key is quite manageable.
OEM keys can often be ordered directly from the manufacturer, or sourced from various online retailers. For less specialized locks, copying an original at a locksmith is also an option. And if your existing lock is too far gone, complete lock cylinder replacement kits provide a simple solution for enhanced security.
Knowing where to buy replacement keys for your tonneau cover removes the frustration and lets you get back to using your truck bed. Just be sure to store any spare keys safely so you never end up locked out again!
With the help of this guide, you now have the essential knowledge needed to find and purchase the right replacement key or lock for your specific tonneau cover.